Straight, healthy teeth play a huge role in boosting self-confidence and thanks to vast improvements in brace technology, orthodontic treatment is becoming increasingly popular among adult patients. Our Specialist Orthodontist, Ben Buffham, offers several options here at Exeter Advanced Dentistry. Read on to find out what type of braces are available – after all, it’s never too late to improve your smile.
Clear fixed braces
Clear fixed braces are the modern equivalent of the traditional metal braces that most people picture when they think about orthodontics. However, gone are the days of the highly visible ‘train tracks’ that tended to make people feel self-conscious about their smile. Modern fixed braces use tooth-coloured brackets and wires that blend inconspicuously with your natural teeth to give a much subtler appearance.
Advantages of clear fixed braces
- Guaranteed to work – Since the braces are permanently fixed to your teeth for the duration of treatment, you do not have any responsibility for your own treatment. In contrast, patients with removable braces need to remember to switch their aligners every few weeks and put them back in after eating or drinking.
- Effective for severe alignment issues – If you have serious overcrowding issues or your teeth are badly misaligned, braces that use a wire and bracket system are the most effective option for straightening your teeth.
Lingual braces are fixed braces that are attached to the back of your teeth, in front of the tongue. They work exactly the same way as conventional fixed braces except they are completely hidden from view, making them unnoticeable to other people.
Advantages of lingual braces
- Discreet – Since they cannot be seen by others, lingual braces are often a good option for people in client-facing jobs or people who are self-conscious about their appearance.
- Less possibility of tooth damage – The inner side of the teeth are less susceptible to decalcification and damage than the front surface, so lingual braces are less likely to mark teeth than standard braces.
Invisalign is a popular choice among adult patients because it uses a series of clear aligners (custom-made trays) that are removable and almost invisible. Patients wear the aligners for 22 hours a day, but they can be removed for eating and drinking, and for important events such as a wedding or business meeting.
Advantages of Invisalign
- Comfortable – The aligners used for Invisalign treatment are made from smooth plastic. Unlike traditional bracket and wire braces, they do not have any sharp, protruding edges that could irritate your mouth or gums.
- Barely noticeable – As the name suggests, Invisalign braces are all but invisible. Many patients are able to complete treatment without anyone realising they are wearing braces. Their discreet appearance and removable design makes them a popular option among adults who do not want their orthodontic treatment to impact their everyday life.
If you are interested in orthodontic treatment, we will be happy to arrange a consultation with our Specialist Orthodontist, who can advise you on the most suitable option to get the results you want. Contact one of our friendly team members today.