With a new year on its way, it’s common for us all to start thinking about some of things we’re looking to change, learn and improve and for many people, this is their smile.
Tooth whitening is one of the most popular cosmetic dental treatments in the world. Treatment is easy, results are long-lasting and the benefits of treatment extend beyond those which are purely cosmetic.
Custom tooth whitening at Exeter Advanced Dentistry
Here at Exeter Advanced Dentistry, we will take a digital impression of your teeth in order to create the trays via which the whitening agent will be applied. This whitening agent will be the particular shade that you and your dentist here at Exeter Advanced Dentistry have decided upon together prior to the procedure. We offer in-practice tooth whitening as well as take-home kits and your dentist will outline the details of both to you when you visit us for your consultation and help you make an informed decision, taking your needs and preferences into account.
Why have your teeth whitened by a dentist?
Tooth whitening should only ever be performed by a medical professional such as a dentist or doctor who possess the relevant expertise to make it safe. It is a risk to seek this treatment from anyone other than the latter as they cannot create custom-made whitening trays, which are responsible for making the treatment 100% safe. The custom nature of the whitening trays is paramount; when one-size-fits-all generic trays are used, patients are susceptible to the possibility of the whitening agent leaking over onto their gums which can cause irrevocable damage.
The science behind tooth whitening: what actually occurs?
- Hydrogen peroxide is broken down into perhydroxyl and hydrogen.
- The perhydroxyl ion crosses through your tooth enamel and into the dentine.
- The perhydroxyl ion breaks down the large organic molecules that are the cause of tooth staining and in turn, the shade of the tooth is altered.
Quick-fire benefits of tooth whitening
- Benefit from a bespoke treatment performed by a highly-qualified, reputable and friendly team.
- Tooth whitening is an opportunity to start afresh with maintaining the aesthetics of your teeth if you have been a bit neglectful in the past. As a scale and polish (deep clean of your teeth) is performed prior to treatment, tenacious staining like plaque and tartar is removed, giving you the chance to form new brushing and hygiene habits. Please ask our team if you need advice with brushing techniques or information about how to maintain your new smile post-treatment.
- Discoloured teeth can affect your desire to smile and you may have been feeling embarrassed to smile because of this. A younger and healthier-looking smile can make a huge difference to patients, who find the most noticeable difference after treatment is actually in their emotional wellbeing.
- Natural-looking results – as mentioned above, you and your dentist will decide upon a shade for your smile together, taking factors like your skin colour, eye colour and hair colour into account so that your new smile looks natural and authentic.
Looking after your oral hygiene
Do you feel as if you have been lax with your dental hygiene routine in the last 12 months? Or perhaps you need some friendly advice about how to improve the way you brush, floss and look after your teeth and gums? Our hygienist can help by suggesting changes you can implement to improve your dental hygiene in the long-term. Click here to find out more.
If you would like to know more about how tooth whitening could benefit you, please do not hesitate to get in touch with us and we will be happy to discuss this with you in further detail.